Food & Wine
An Old Childhood Favourite
This isn’t just ANY bobotie recipe though … we’ve turned your next meal get-together into a taste sensation by adding our ‘national’ favourite, ALL GOLD Jam! Adding Apricot and Peach Jam to this delish mixture of curried mince and creamy golden topping takes this old family favourite to a new level.
Preparation time: 90 minutes
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 10 ml (2 tsp) crushed garlic
- 500 g minced beef
- 2 slices bread, crusts removed
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) curry powder
- 10 ml (2 tsp) masala
- 15 ml Mrs Balls Chutney
- 10 ml vinegar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) turmeric
- 50 ml ALL GOLD Skweezi Apricot & Peach Jam
- 65 ml (¼ cup) seedless raisins
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 6 bay leaves
- Heat oil and fry onions and garlic until transparent.
- Add minced beef, cook for 10 minutes until brown.
- Place bread in a bowl and cover with milk.
- Soak for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze bread and reserve the milk.
- Add bread to mince, together with spices and ALL GOLD Skweezi Apricot & Peach Jam, chutney and vinegar.
- Cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into individual ovenproof bowls or 1 large rectangular ovenproof dish.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes at 180 °C.
- Mix together reserved milk and eggs.
- Remove Bobotie from oven and pour milk mixture over.
- Top with bay leaves.
- Return to oven and bake for a further 15 minutes at 180 °C until custard has set.
- Serve warm over rice or with a salad.