Why not just juice it!
With components like fresh fruit, vegetables and other supplements, they provide the body with essential minerals, vitamins and nutrients, all of which are necessary to keep our bodies healthy. It is also an easy way to replace a meal or quickly get something beneficial into your body when time is limited.
Drinking a smoothie is a good way to provide you with all the nutrients your body needs
Since the early 2000s, there has been an increase in the focus on a healthy lifestyle by choosing the right diet and exercise plan. From there, the smoothie has grown tremendously in popularity.
Jannie Ferreira, master trainer and nutritionist working at Virgin Active in Mbombela, is one of the franchisees of the Kauai outlet at the gym in Crossing Centre and maintains that smoothies have excellent benefits for athletes.
“It is sometimes difficult for an athlete to eat enough food to meet their nutritional needs in a heavy training phase. Drinking a smoothie is a good way to provide you with all the nutrients your body needs.
“It is easy to make and is quickly absorbed by the body. Therefore, the right smoothie can be the perfect way to build energy for any athlete, pre- or post-training.”
Cassandra Jacobs, Jannie’s partner at Kauai, says when she is on holiday she always looks for a place to buy a good smoothie.
“This drink is delicious and light, especially when the weather is warm, and you don’t want to sit and eat a full plate of food. The nice thing about a smoothie, like the ones we serve here, is that you take in fruit and vegetables in a disguised form.
“Not everyone would eat a plate full of kale, but a kale smoothie is tasty and an excellent meal. It is low in carbs, rich in protein, and great for your heart, skin, bones and eyes.”
According to Jannie and Cassandra, what makes their outlet’s smoothies something special, are elements like collagen and whey protein that are added to some of the drinks on the menu. Collagen, Cassandra says, promotes skin elasticity, protects your organs and provides structure to joints and tendons.
Not everyone would eat a plate full of kale, but a kale smoothie is tasty and an excellent meal
Whey protein, according to Jannie, contains a wide range of essential amino acids which is absorbed quickly. “Various studies have shown that it can increase your strength and help you to gain muscle. The best thing about whey protein is that you can lose significant amounts of body fat,” he adds.
So, what are you waiting for? With the warmer weather here to stay, you won’t find anything as tasty and light as a smoothie: A bunch of health benefits in a glass!
What does a smoothie consist of?
There are three essential elements: a liquid, a base that is made from fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables, and the chill component – ice or frozen fruit.
Step 1 – The liquid
Add one or two cups into a blender. You can choose from any of the following liquids: milk, coconut water, juice, green or herbal tea.
Step 2 – The base
You can find excellent recipes for smoothies on the Internet. Basically, the base should be 2 to 3 cups of fruits and vegetables. This can be frozen or fresh and even steamed. You can add 60ml to 125ml of raw and sprouted nuts and seeds.
Any ingredient that would add an element of cream would improve the taste; avocado, banana, mango, yogurt, cooked grains, nut butter and even raw nuts, like cashews and blanched almonds, work best.
Step 3 – The ice
Ice cubes or cubes of frozen fruit juices are added last. This is to ensure that all the ingredients are pulled into the blades of the blender for even mixing.
According to www.easyhealthysmoothie.com, smoothies have more than 20 health benefits. Some of these are:
1. The fibre in a fruit or vegetable-based smoothie will make you feel fuller for longer.
2. Drinking a protein-rich smoothie at the start of the day, will stop cravings and lessen your appetite.
3. A drink that includes leafy green vegetables like kale, celery or spinach will counteract the discomfort of heartburn and acid reflux.
4. Adding two teaspoons of Matcha Green Tea powder to your smoothies give you a big helping of antioxidants that are important for preventing diseases like heart disease and cancer.
5. Smoothies can increase your immunity. Fruits and vegetables are a great source of nutrients and antioxidants.
6. A smoothie is a wonderful way to detox your body and get rid of toxins because it contains so many nutritious ingredients. Garlic, papaya and beetroot are very detoxifying.
7. Drinking one is a quick and easy way to add fibre to your diet. Nutritionists recommend at least 25 to 30 grams of fibre per day and pears, apples, avocado, bananas, oranges and most types of berries are high in fibre.
8. Taking smoothies on a regular basis will make you stay healthier for longer. The benefit of taking lots of fruit and veg is the reduced risk of heart disease and it will make it less likely for you to develop type
DID YOU KNOW?
• Raspberry has the highest fibre content of all fruits.
• Raw cocoa that you can add in the smoothie is the highest antioxidant food you can get because it removes toxins from your body.
• Kiwi fruit and bananas added to a smoothie will help you sleep better.
With the warmer weather here to stay, you won’t find anything as tasty and light as a smoothie
• Green vegetables like kale, broccoli and red peppers are excellent ways to burn extra calories.
• When you consume fruits and vegetables in liquid form as in a smoothie, it makes it easier for your body to break down the nutrients.
• Digestion already starts in your mouth when enzymes are released to start the process, so don’t gulp down your smoothie in one go!
GET IN TOUCH
Cassandra Jacobs, 0832544048